Friday, August 24, 2012

MILK PAINT at Robyn Story Designs!!


Robyn ordered some great samples of Milk Paint from
Miss Mustard Seed and handed them over to me (Lori) in case I had some free time... 
I finally had a day to myself to hide in my garage and play!!
I had an old dresser that was in horrible disrepair and was about to get chopped up and put at the bottom of the driveway for trash pick-up.  But then I thought it would be a shame to throw it away.  It has gorgeous lines, is at least 60 years old and is solid mahogany, even though the drawers are non-functional.  What a great idea to make a display piece for the store!!
Here she is after I applied Zinsser's Shellac.  It's 60 years old and mahogany, I fully expected that I would get that wonderful (sarcasm) pink haze. By the way, important note:  The spray version of the shellac is perfect for the inside shell but my haze still came through on the Ironstone ribbon (below).  Use the brush on version for furniture surfaces!  I embraced the haze and it actually looks great but it could just have easily ruined my piece! 
Robyn also bought an overhead projector off of Craigslist about 2 months ago and I've been dying to find something to do with it.  It all came to me...a little free time and I'm dangerous!!!!

This is after one coat of Milk Paint in Tricycle.
Originally I painted one coat of Ironstone but after realizing my color options I quickly covered it up with Tricycle
and proceeded with this color pattern.
So since this is my display piece I made a copy of Miss Mustard Seed's logo onto a transparency.  I channeled my inner AV geek (remember Audio Visual class in high school??) and got busy!!

I chose this logo since it's so identifiable!  Two coats of Tricyle and I was ready to rock it!!
I only had three colors of Milk Paint to play with so I used Ironstone for the background of the words "Milk Paint" and the circle above it.  Once I was done I had to figure out what color to do the words with.  My only other option was Shutter Gray.  Hmmm, not dark enough.  So, yes, I had to improvise a little....
Ironstone on top of the Tricycle
Chippyliscious!!
Before I was finished it started chipping away.  I'd never used Milk Paint before and I'd heard about it being very chippy!!  What crazy FUN!!!  I loved watching it react.  I DID NOT use the bonding agent that Miss Mustard Seed provides.  I wanted to allow the piece to 'do it's thing' and boy did it ever!! 
Isn't she cute!!~ Oh, I forgot about my improvising  After looking at my options for the lettering, I didn't have Miss Mustard Seed's Typewriter so I used a smidge of Graphite.
I'm so anxious to get all of Miss Mustard Seed's colors to create away....!

Notice the spots of chippy?  As I was painting I actually watched the paint pull away from the surface and start to flake.  It's completely unpredictable and absolutely mesmerizing!!
A close up of the chips!!!
Another close up
 
And finally in the store ready to be stocked with all the little pouches of of Milk Paint!!
 
Don't forget to pre-order your Milk Paint NOW.  We are still offering the 15% off your total purchase.
Although time is definitely running out.  We should have our shipment of Milk Paint by the end of August and it will ship out the minute we accept delivery on our dock!!

Once you've pre-ordered come back to the posting on the blog and leave a comment to enter for another FABULOUS GIVEAWAY!
(ends 9/8/2012)

Good Luck!! and Happy Painting!

5 comments:

  1. Wow Lori! What a stunning job you did. It is absolutely perfect for the display in the store!
    Love the chippy effect.
    Have a great weekend
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out BEAUTIFUL!! Miss Mustard Seed would be sooo proud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out BEAUTIFUL!! Miss Mustard Seed would be sooo proud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just placed my preorder but would like to add to it a sample size of "Kitchen Scale" if that is possible? Also, please enter me in the giveaway! :-)

    Emily Waits (order may show up under my mom's name: Jane Waswo) emsydaisy@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just returned home from Robyn Story Designs... my first time there! The pictures above of the chest are great but to see it in person was... WOW... it is gorgeous! I love the chippy effect and can't wait to try Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paints when they arrive. Today I bought sample pots of Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint in Chateau Grey and Old White to try. I. Am. So. Excited!!!!

    ReplyDelete